Tuesday, December 23, 2008

yeah yeah, fair-weather friends

It's been cold, and I've been kind of wimpy about it this year. Also I have irrational fears about slipping on the ice. But I wanted to share this photo with you, since I finally uploaded stuff from my camera. It's a pretty sweet hooded merganser I saw on the western island in Prospect Lake a few weeks ago.

I did go on the first Sunday bird walk of December. My friend Gabby tagged along. For a non-birder, she was a great companion - sharp eyes and deep curiosity. It was a rollicking good walk in the briskosity of a new December morn. Any excuse to secretly wear longjohns!

Yesterday at work some gorgeous and large raptor flew through the backyard twice, around four o'clock. Not a red-tail, maybe a Cooper's hawk though. I had just long enough a glimpse to get an impression of finely ordered bold spotting.

This morning I was lazing in a sunbeam, relishing that brief moment in which one can actually enjoy lying awake in bed. I heard the approaching cacophony of a flock of Canada geese, and rushed to the window and tore up the sash just in time to see them fly right over my building. A pretty nice way to start the day!

2 comments:

Dawn Fine said...

i hear ya ..about the cold and ice..but glad to see you went out in the cold and saw a few birdies...
we just did the drive from north carolina to cold CT for Christmas....burrrr...good thing my parents have lots of bird feeders to look at thru the glass doors...tee hee

Brenda from Flatbush said...

Briskosity is an excellent word-that-should-be. I hate you, though; I have looked for some duck other than a Mallard on Duck Island soooo many times, and never seen ANYBODY (anyduckie)!
Happy New Year...